Dark to Dawn’s Foster Care Ministry - Opportunities to Serve
Here are some examples of how you and your church can serve foster children and youth:
- Mentor a foster youth 1-2 hours a week. Help raise awareness of the need for mentors by arranging a time to speak to a group at your church.
- Become an adult supporter for foster youth (age 14-24) who are members of the California Youth Connection.
- Ask your church to celebrate Sanctity of Life Month each January or Foster Parent Appreciation Month each May by highlighting the need for more foster and adoptive parents and by inviting a foster parent agency to have information available after the worship service.
- Consider being a host family for a foster youth who has recently aged out of the foster care system at age 18 and needs a room to rent for several months, up to a year or so.
- Royal Family Kids Camp-Teen Reach Adventure Camp – serve as a counselor for 1 week in the Summer or help sponsor a foster child or teenager to go to camp.
- Contribute to the Community of Friends Fund which provides one-time financial assistance to foster youth for housing, transportation, education, or medical needs.
- Encourage your Children’s Ministry or other church groups to organize a drive for donations of backpacks and school supplies for foster and disadvantaged youth.
- Donate new or gently-used children’s clothing, bedding, etc. to the Heart-to-Heart program sponsored by the Foster Parents Association. Go to www.vcfpa.com for details.
To get involved, contact Karen Gamboa - firstname.lastname@example.org
Dark to Dawn is a faith-based organization, based in Ventura County, and partners with domestic and international adoption and orphan care agencies, as well as local foster care agencies such as the Foster Parent Association, Arrow Child & Family Ministries, California Youth Connection, Casa Pacifica, Foster & Kinship Care Education, Royal Family Kids Camp, TEACh Scholarship Fund, Ventura County Children & Family Services. Dark to Dawn was formed to equip Christians from any and every season in life to discover their God-directed path to care for orphans and foster children. The website is www.darktodawn.org.